Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Best Things are Free!

I had a significant amount of responses to my blog yesterday about reducing the 3 S’s in which many were positive and some negative. One thing that got me thinking, was a comment that I should give students the choices to eat healthy or not. This of course is a free market society. As a parent, this is difficult for me to comprehend, but I will try.

So… In the free market society, many things are wanton and I have often heard that America’s favorite price is free. Let’s examine what one could get for free by not eating healthy. Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Elevated Tri-Glycerides, Obesity, Dehydration, Kidney Stones, Gall Bladder Stones, Ulcers, Ulcerative Colitis, Indigestion, Heart Burn, Lethargy, Scurvy, Rickets, and I am sure a lot more if I were a med student studying such things.

As a parent and a responsible administrator, I will not be held accountable for the poor choices you make if you desire any of the best things for free listed above. These comments about a free market society remind me of a student complaining that I rid the dining halls of Styrofoam since it was a modern wonder of the world and I should embrace it. Sorry, I am going to serve healthy food whether you like it or not… without Styrofoam…

David

No comments:

Post a Comment