Monday, March 29, 2010

Of All Things…

I often brag about the expertise of our culinary staff here at Rice and today was no exception with regards to that wonderful little red radish. I was cruising through the kitchens today and was taking a look at the produce when one of the salad preps caught me eyeing the radish she was preparing. She immediately said, “I know, they look terrible.” “We won’t be serving them today.” Took the words right out of my mouth…

Although we have seven ACF certified chef’s, the real value of that knowledge is passing it down to people who are still learning. This was a great example of that “trickle down” experience that comes from high culinary standards and training. This just reaffirms the importance of continued education in all areas.

I remember a story my Dad told me about being an apprentice carpenter… He said that when he was learning, nobody would show him how to do anything because people would fear for their skilled job. He then told me how he overcame this by working tirelessly figuring out the rise and run of a 7-11 stair case so he could become more valuable. Although there is definitely something to be said for learning a skill on your own, in the food business, training needs to be passed on or else someone could get sick. Figuring out if a radish is bad by sickening someone is not the experience I was referring to. The experience to stop that happening is…

A day in the life...

David

No comments:

Post a Comment