Monday, March 8, 2010

Rodeo Food Just Usual Houston Fare

Our son’s Godfather was in town this last weekend so we decided to head off to the rodeo for a little fun and food in the sun. Often times Housing and Dining are questioned why we contract food for our concession stands during the sporting events rather than self-operate them. You only need to take a look at the amount of vendors in this city to answer that question.

When we started checking out the food vendors, I realized very quickly that there was nothing unique, but rather the restaurants we are all familiar with living in and around Houston. These restaurants have become so iconic in fact that they are at the rodeo, sporting events, and other special celebrations around town throughout the year. It would be nice to see a larger amount of lesser known vendors in the future, but from the concessions point of view, it makes sense to have highly visible vendors.

I have to comment on one venue that made “any dinner into dessert.” I know nutritionally and healthfully that this is taboo, so we could sum up the concept as “this will probably kill you.” However, this is what I expect to see at a fair or the rodeo. Something cool and different... If you never had a fried Twinkie or Oreo, go ahead and try it once so you can say you did! Then eat salad for a week to compensate…

Anyway, when I was growing up and going to the California State Fair every year, I always looked for the food I never ate at home any other time of the year. I wonder if kids feel the same joy going to the rodeo or a fair today like I did when I was a kid. My daughter could eat any of the rodeo food as a matter of just dining out on the weekend with us. Does the magic still exist?

Go enjoy the rodeo anyhow…

David

No comments:

Post a Comment